Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Just breathe....

My exam is tomorrow. I have tried my best to keep away from this site for the last month to avoid distracting myself, and to avoid inundating you with my woes. I can't wait for tomorrow night to be here. I still don't feel remotely ready, but I really can't stand the feeling of having this hanging over my head anymore. I did not hit any of the goals I had for this study period, but it is what it is. I'm hoping that something will work out somehow. I probably shouldn't sound so flippant about something that plays such a big role in determining my future career, but this is the only way I know to keep myself together for the moment. I just want to be done with it. Tomorrow, I'll just try my best and see how it goes I guess!


Was going to do an audio post, but I don't know if I would have sounded coherent or been able to string reasonable sentences together. I have spent the last month, I'm convinced, traumatizing people's children. I've looked like a hobo on one too many occasions! The other day, I got to the public library only to discover that I was wearing my 'special socks' - purple stripes, crossbones, multicolored patches - you get the picture, with my house slippers. This was paired, by the way with some oversize grey sweatpants - that just happened to be missing the drawstring - a shapeless purple sweater and a jacket missing a middle button. I really don't know how I happened to leave the house looking like that, lol. I went to the grocery store to get energy drinks on that same day, and I almost had to go over and close some lady's mouth for her. She was standing by her car, just staring at me in horror. But the lady kukuma can't she try to control her expression sef? I wanted to bust into a rendition of "Ain't Nobody Got Time for That" a la Sweet Brown (by the way, if you haven't seen this, here's a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFEoMO0pc7k. you're welcome, lol), but I decided that would guarantee me a ride to the psych equiv of the ER over here - bad for my rep seeing as I worked there for a bit not too long ago.
Summary: If you come across some crazy looking person wearing mismatched clothes/old 9ja clothes in your Walmart parking lot, it just might be me. Treat me with kindness, please.

Speaking of hospitals, I've had to continue on with my one of my rotations throughout this "off" period, and boy have I met some interesting people! A few weeks ago, I was shadowing my preceptor, and we were running somewhat behind schedule. While we're in a patient room, we hear a patient in the next room yelling and carrying on about how he's annoyed because he hasn't been attended to (which was somewhat understandable, but he was kinda overreacting). We get in to see him and after basically yelling for a bit he gets to his problem. He says he has a boil in his "nether regions" and goes into graphic detail about how he puts his hand there and gets so much pus. He also says that if it's not attended to at the moment, he's going to go home an jab whatever he can into it to take care of it himself, and that he might even use a knife (See what I said about overreacting?). We inspect his butt for the boil, and if you see the tiny spot...not to say that it couldn't have been a huge problem in the past, but considering the agaracha we had to endure today, that was not expected. And by the way, when he dropped his pants, he turned to me and told me, "you've been enjoying all this haven't you? Guess you have no problems and are just enjoying the show." Erm...I think not sir. Yeah, the most we could do was give him some meds and try to make sure he wouldn't take a knife to his butt. And he did complain some more and blame "the system" and "the man." *smh*

Well, I think I have rambled enough....will be back when I'm a reasonable, sane, coherent person. I've had a good distraction from my exam stress, which was my goal :)

Wish me luck, send me positive vibes and prayers, I'll definitely need them!!!

Ka odi nu

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

all the best in your exams IJN
x

simplegal said...

Amen! Thank you so much MissJ :)